- The Warm Home Discount Scheme (WHD) is a scheme that runs through the Winter of 2023/24. It provides a discount of £150, deducted from your household energy bill, if you are eligible.
- This discount is applied directly to the bill rather than paid to you.
- The scheme starts on 16th October 2023.
- If you are eligible, we will apply the discount to your bill by 31st March 2024.
- Energy suppliers may choose to take part in the scheme, and Rebel has.
- Please note that regardless of other criteria, in order to be eligible:
- You must have been supplied by us, or by another an energy company that takes part on the scheme, on 13th August 2023 (the ‘qualifying date’).
- Your name (or your partner’s name if they fit the eligibility requirements) must be on your bill.
A detailed overview may be found here: https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme
- If you get the Guarantee Credit element of the Pension Credit. This applies even if you receive the Savings Credit as well.
- If you are on a low income in England and Wales.
- If you are on a low income in Scotland.
- Eligible households in this category are called ‘Core Group 1’ In England and Wales and ‘The Core Group’ In Scotland.
- You don’t need to apply. You will automatically receive a letter between November 2023 and January 2024 confirming the discount;
- Or you may receive a letter be asking you to call the WHD helpline, 0800 030 9322, by 28th February 2023, to confirm your details.
- You can contact the Warm Home Discount scheme by post if you have not received a letter by mid-January 2024, and think you may be eligible: 110552 Warm Home Discount Scheme, PO Box 26965, Glasgow, G1 9BW.
- Eligible households in this category are called ‘Core Group 2’
- You may be eligible if you receive certain means-tested benefits including:
- – Housing Benefit
- – Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- – Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- – Income Support
- – The ‘Savings Credit’ part of Pension Credit
- – Universal Credit
- You could also qualify if your household income falls below a certain threshold and you get either:
- – Child Tax Credit
- – Working Tax Credit
- You don’t need to apply. You will automatically receive a letter between October 2023 and January 2023 confirming the discount
To see if you qualify, click this link: https://www.gov.uk/check-if-youre-eligible-for-warm-home-discountIf you are on low income in Scotland
- Eligible households in this category are called ‘The Broader Group’.
- You may be in ‘The Broader Group’ if:
- – You or your partner are responsible for a child under 5,
- – You are disabled,
- – You have a disabled child
- And you are getting one of the following benefits:
- – Income Support
- – Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- – Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- – Universal Credit, and have earnings less than £1,418 per month
- – Child Tax Credits, and have earnings less than £17,005 per year
If your household is classed as being in the ‘Broader Group’ you will need to apply for the WHD. To apply for the WHD in Scotland click on the following link: https://rebelenergy.warmhomediscount.com/Please keep in mind that this fund is not unlimited, and operates on a ‘first come, first served’ basis, so we encourage you to apply early.
Yes, please use this link: https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme
No. WHD applies only once per household.
Only if the Pension Credit Guarantee Credit is backdated to the 13th August 2023. Otherwise, no.
No. Eligibility relies on being in receipt of certain means-tested benefits in addition to any other criteria.
It depends if your utility bill is in your name (or your partner’s name). If the bill is in your name, and you meet the eligibility criteria, then yes. Otherwise, no.
The energy supplier you had on August 13th 2023 is the one who responsible for paying your discount, if you are eligible, and if they are part of the WHD scheme.
You won’t lose any eligibility you had for a discount (if you were eligible) from the supplier you had at your property on 13th August 2023.
- If you were eligible for Core Group 1 or 2 (England and Wales) or The Core Group (Scotland) on the qualifying date, you will still be eligible for the discount from the supplier you had on 13th August 2023.
- If you were eligible for Core Group 2 (England and Wales) but moved to Scotland before the qualifying date, you will lose your eligibility for the rebate.
- If you were eligible for ‘The Broader Group (Scotland), but moved England or Wales, you will lose your eligibility if your account has not already been credited by your supplier in Scotland.
Call the WHD helpline (by 28th Feb 2024) to receive guidance. The WHD team will provide you advice about what data is missing, and how you can provide it. Depending upon whether this is easy or difficult to do, you may ask that the decision on your property be based upon an Energy Performance Certificate (see the next question for advice on how to get one).
Call the WHD helpline and ask that the decision be based on something called their Energy Performance Certificate (EPC), instead of the usual criteria (type, age and floor area of the property). You can find out if they have an EPC by checking this link: https://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate. If you don’t have an EPC, you can get one by following this link: https://www.gov.uk/get-new-energy-certificate. You must do this by for 28th 2024 – and at your own expense.
If you pay by direct debit, or direct payment, we’ll apply the discount directly to your account. If you are on a pre-payment meter, we’ll apply the discount either directly to the meter or provide you vouchers to top up the meter.
No. Any credit from one quarter will be rolled into the next.
So long as we supply you with both gas and electricity, then yes, we’ll be happy to do that.
|WHD helpline||0800 030 9322|
|Find out if you have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate)||Find out if you have an EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) https://www.gov.uk/find-energy-certificate|
|Get an EPC||https://www.gov.uk/get-new-energy-certificate|
|Qualifying date (the supplier who will pay your WHD (if you are eligible) is the one who supplied you on:||13th August 2023|
|WHD helpline will run from||16th Oct 2023 to 29th Feb 2024|
|Letters confirming eligibility for Core Group 1 (England and Wales) or the Core Group (Scotland) will arrive:||November 2023 to January 2024|
|Letters confirming eligibility for Core Group 2 WHD (England only) will arrive:||October 2023 to January 2024|
|Deadline for confirming ‘Core Group 1’ and ’Core Group 2’ data (if you have been asked to by letter) and applying for ‘Broader Group’ WHD:||28th Feb 2024 (try to do it earlier!)|
|WHD will be paid on or before:||31st March 2024|